Things have gone so wrong with Evangelical Christianity in the last 10 years I hardly know where to start. Sacrificing Biblical doctrine for political expediency, denying Christ, rejecting the Bible, embracing the enemies of the cross and calling them friends, becoming far more worldly, incorporating new age teachings and practices, seeking after magic, abandoning the Great commission – I’d say the great apostasy is not coming – I’d say it’s here, fully entrenched.
I often wondered how the Antichrist was going to be embraced by people who called themselves Christians – now I see it and understand.
The problem with it, is that Evangelical Christianity is slowly corrupting Fundamentalism! Formerly King James Only pastors now are rejecting it, in favor of modern versions. Pastors now deny the Preservation of Scripture. They deny separationism. They advocate joining up with every heretic who names the name of Christ!
If ever there was a time for you to start a blog calling for people to leave Evangelicalism and come to Fundamentalism, this is the moment! And I’m going to do a series shortly on how to set up a blog!
Ways that Evangelical Christianity has misled Fundamentalism….
- The Textual Criticism theory. The single biggest one right here! If we’d listened to Otis Fuller, the Dean Burgon Society, David Cloud and other defenders of the Bible, we’d never be in this state. David Cloud has several books on Bible preservation and Textual Criticism. Start with the free ones such as “Unholy Hands on God’s Holy Book.” The facts remain, not one of the textual critics are Christians. There were one or two who were trained as Textual Critics, and actually left that and embraced King James Only-ism, such as Edward Hills. But Griesbach, Wellhausen and the others all were Christ deniers, and proceeded from the assumption we should treat the Bible as any other book. Christians should have dismissed them as unbelievers years ago, and paid no mind. Indeed, we celebrate these men, who right now are regretting their choices in the midst of unending torment. In fact Wellhausen’s theories are still touted as being foundational, and thousands of Christian pastors still bow the head to them – and yet Wellhausen was debunked 100 years ago in the book set The Fundamentals.
- Collapse of separation. David Cloud’s book on this subject is astounding, and compelling. I was opposed to Separationism, until I’d found Cloud. I got really irritated, decided to debunk him, and was convinced in under ten minutes that Cloud was right. That’s even faster than learning about the King James issue, which took me 20 minutes! The point is, if someone teaches or believes heresy, and you associate with him, in the Lord’s eyes you agree with him. Scary. It’s in the Bible. It’s in almost every book! Some of the verses on separationism we even name ministries after! I used to hear advertisements for a ministry called Equally Yoked on Christian radio before I stopped listening to it several years ago. I don’t know what they ministered – I’m guessing explaining to Christians that they shouldn’t marry non-Christians. I kind of thought that was a no-brainer. Did you know that the passage on being unequally yoked tells you to separate from unbelievers? Read it. No kidding So – why are we encouraging Christians to associate with Roman Catholics and Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists and Church of Christ? They’re not Christians!
- Pressure to become worldly. I’ve never read it, but supposedly one of the biggest selling books in Christianity in the last 15 years is a book called “Blue like Jazz”. The overall message of the book is why you should live a worldly life as a Christian, from what I’ve heard. Um… you know, if we read the Bible, we’d see we are enjoined to come OUT of the world. We were saved OUT of the world! Ever read the proverb “like a dog returns to his vomit…”? We are not to be worldly. Yesterday I recommended seven chapters to study in your Bible, and the overall theme of 5 of them was how to live and walk, now that you’re saved out of the world! If “Blue Like Jazz” was called “how to Backslide”, would millions have bought it? There’s a lot of pressure – a lot – on Christian blogs, radio shows, talk shows, TV preachers etc who are advocating – quite seriously – how to live an unGodly life. Because essentially living so that you – a Christian – are indistinguishable from the world – are doing.
- Abandon Biblical presentation of the gospel. I’ve ranted on this too many times. Suffice it to say that “raise your hand, right now, where you’re sitting – there’s one…” is not a Biblical presentation of the Gospel. And I’ve heard so many times from irresponsible men that “nobody was ever scared into heaven…” um.. Excuse me? It seems to me that everyone who is born again has stopped, realized that if they don’t get saved they’re going to burn in Hell, and turned to Jesus Christ! Let’s get back to offering the Gospel the right way, and maybe we won’t have so many churches painting their walls black.
- Questioning of the Rapture. Not a big deal you think? Literally, the belief in the return of the Lord is the litmus test, the canary in the mine. If you question or deny the Pre-Trib rapture, it’s a symptom you’re getting off track spiritually!
I could go on, but this is enough for now. After all, I’ve promised to keep my writings shorter now, so we’ll stop here. By the way, each one of these is seeds for a blog post on your own Fundamentalist blogs!