I sit here, listening to sermons on my laptop while I write. It’s so difficult in the Laodecian age to find pastors that preach correct doctrine. You find this guy, hey, he’s pretty good, but he’s got this error. This guys a really good preacher, but he’s Calvinist. Or this guy’s Armenianist, and believes he has to maintain his own salvation. That’s a big error.
David Wilkerson is a powerful preacher, but he was pentecostal. Yet he was the most powerful voice against Word Faith teachings since the 70’s. He was speaking out against it years before John McArthur began.
I like listening to Walter Martin – but he too spoke in tongues.
I like this Dan guy, really good Bible teacher, but he’s Baptist Brider. So now I have to wade through all that “It matters who baptizes you” and “Did they have authority to start a church?” and other issues.
It’s breaking my heart. Lord, whatever happened to Godly men teaching sound doctrine? It’s like Marc Monte said once, that early in the 19th century, you could go to pretty much any Protestant or Baptist church and find the true Gospel preached.
And I visit Baptist bulletin boards, and find people speaking critically of David Cloud. Really? His doctrine’s good – not like the cult figure of Jack Hyles/Jack Schaap, or the heretical teachings of Riplinger, or Peter Ruckman. So Baptists have no leg to stand on when we point fingers at false teachers OUTSIDE Baptistdom – we’ve got our own heretics as well!
Now in the 21st Century the Gospel is a muddled mess. Let’s see what people are teaching…
- God wants you healthy and rich. If you can’t speak it into existence, you’ve got a lack of faith.
- All you have to do is believe. Don’t repent – that’s works!
- You don’t have to be born again – you were predestined to be saved, and nothing you can do can change that.
- You were predestined to be saved, but that doesn’t take away your responsibility to obey the Gospel and be born again.
- You don’t have to be born again, everyone is saved. Halleluyah!
- precious few will be saved. I made it, the rest of you will burn forever. Mwahahahaha!
- You have to repent and be baptized to be saved
- you have to repent and confess you are a sinner to the Lord Jesus Christ and ask Him to forgive you
- you just have to beleive – don’t repent! That word’s not even in the Bible!
- you must join the Roman Catholic Church, as there is salvation in no other church.
- you must have obedience to God’s chosen organization, the Governing Body of the Jehovah’s Witnesses
- you must be a seventh day adventist, and perform good works to be saved
- you must confess EVERY Sin you’ve ever committed! And Jesus Christ must be the absolute Lord of every area of your life to be saved!
- You must evidence all of the gifts of the Holy Spirit to be saved
- If you don’t speak in tongues, you aren’t saved.
- If you’re not a member of the True Church of the Lord Jesus Christ, you are not saved.
- If you believe in the Trinity, you aren’t saved
- if you don’t believe in the Trinity, you aren’t saved
See the problem? There’s truth mixed in there. Did you spot it, in the middle of all the apostasy and heresy? Or did you fall for the lies in there? How do you know what’s true and not?
The correct answer is the Bible. But the Bible just doesn’t say in one verse in Genesis 1:1 “You have to repent and understand you are a sinner.” Verse 2 “And ye must ask the Lord Jesus to forgive thee and save thee.”
The Bible mixes everything together. You’ll find the salvation message all throughout the Bible. The Lord did it this way on purpose. You can be saved just reading the Gospel of John. But there’s a lot of doctrine all throughout the Bible. It takes study to be able to know what is correct doctrine or not. This is how the Christian grows. If you don’t STUDY your Bible, you’re going to be led astray by a wolf in sheeps clothing, pure and simple. I draw attention to the fact that so many people read C. S. Lewis and think he was saved! And Sunday School classes get together and read “Mere Christianity”. And they find themselves drifting into Thomas A Kempis, and St. John of The Cross, and St. Alba of the Nightstand, and whatever. And suddenly the Pastor starts wondering why so many people in the church are obsessing about salvation and “obedience”.
The sunday School class goes out and buys a program on seeking God. And soon everyone’s touchy-feely about love… and someone begins speaking in tongues in a Southern Baptist Church. Well, yeah – you brought in the Charismatic stuff back in Vacation Bible School, and didn’t even notice! And you had stuff on God whispering, and desiring God, and crazy love… and suddenly your Baptist Church has calvinists and tongues speakers! And the Pastor wonders if its too late to weave cords into a whip and cleanse the Temple.
Friends, we trust everyone who names the name of Christ! Did we stop to see whether or not that’s what the Bible tells you to do? No! We are to study to shew thyself approved. We are to test the spirits. We are warned that grevious wolves will arise – and boy, have they!
I’m telling you right now, probably 95% of what most Christian Bookstores sell is heresy or false teachings. I look at Sunday School curriculums, and shudder. I would have to buy one to see how many doctrinal errors are in it. Before I could in good conscience use the materials, I’d have to go through one, and if necessary line things out with permanent black ink to keep people from reading false doctrine.
I’ve looked at the video curriculums they push, and most of them scare me. My only options now would be taking a DVd curriculum, and editing out any parts that were unScriptural. Why is it I have to do all this? How did Baptists ever get to this point???
The Bible warns us in the last days, some will depart from the faith. More like, most. The Lord even wondered if Faith would be found on the Earth when He returned. The letters to the seven churches show the last days to be marked by churches that make the Lord sick to His stomach. Why do I write about so many heresies and false doctrines??? Because I HAVE to. If I don’t, people will go blindly on, many into damnation, and many Christians into a lack of rewards!
Here’s the question – does it bother YOU? Why are YOU not upset at the wholesale apostasy today? What are you going to do about it?