Most Christians want to stay true to the Lord, and avoid backsliding into sin. The rest really aren’t Christians, so they’re not worried about it.
But did you know Evangelicalism has you programmed to backslide? A lot of people struggle with daily disappointments and besetting sins, and try to find a way to avoid sliding back. Let’s look at what Evangelicalism is doing to keep you in sin, and ineffective for the Lord right now.
- Devotionals, instead of the Bible. Single biggest thing, right there. Our Daily Bread starts with ONE Bible verse, a pithy story that usually isn’t well connected to the Bible verse at all, a call to inaction, and a sample prayer to pray. Throw the things away, and never read them again. This hits you on so many levels I could write an entire blog post on this alone! Not to mention that someone else is interpreting the Bible verse for you, and you have no idea who they are, their theological standing, etc.
- Refusal to separate from error. No kidding. This is another big one. I’ve heard Evangelicals praise the writings of modernists who denied the deity of Christ and the virgin birth, and are suffering right now in eternal torment. I’ve read so many times the “In Essentials, unity, in all else, tolerance” nonsense too many times. If you study and devour the writings of non-Christians, it will not help you to maintain a holy, sin free lifestyle. If you’re spending a lot of time reading C. S. Lewis, how will that help you to live a Godly life? He thought salvation was by works, and believed in Universalism. C. S. Lewis had problems with the idea of Hell (I wonder if he still does? If he;s in heaven, then no. If he’s in Hell, then… no). People who teach error – and I could spend a full time job exposing them – lead you into error. That’s a bottom line statement. My purchase of Logos came with so many modernistic materials I had to issue warnings about soe of them on this blog.
- Lack of prayer. Prayer is not just asking God for whatever you want… prayer is about praising God, speaking to God, giving glory to God,and asking for intercession, healing, etc. Tim Laheye used the ACTS acronym – adoration, confession, thanks, supplication. Try that, If you spend one minute a day on each, you’ve only prayed four minutes, but it’s four minutes more than you’ve been praying!
- Lack of Fasting. There are times that Christians need to fast. That’s obvious from the Bible. When you’re seeking God’s will for your life, BINGO – fast time. All Americans could use a fast. Biblically, a fast includes no water as well as no food. You have to start slow, and build your way up. By the way, unless God is strengthening you, it is impossible to fast 40 days with no water. Day number 4, someone is calling an ambulance to take away your cold, cold remains. For most people, I would not recommend a fast with no liquids.
- Lack of church. If you’re not attending a Bible believing Narrow is the Way Fundamentalist King James only fried chicken eatin’ Baptist Church, you’re backsliding already. It takes like-minded believers to keep you strong.
- Television. Yup, I know them’s fightin’ words. And you only watch Godly programming, but there’s TV commercials. And I’ve seen Godly TV programs throw something in there that never should be shown on a Christian’s TV. I remember dialogue on “Seventh Heaven” that really should never have been said EVER on a Christian TV show (that should bring you to some conclusions…). Better to not have a TV.
- Foul Language. Taking the Lord’s Name in vain and cursing are two of the quickest ways to backslide. Evil communication corrupts good manners!
How do you fix this?
Do the opposite of these seven errors! Throw away your daily Bread. Separate from error and false teachers! Pray daily, the more the better! Fast when the Lord leads you to, be faithful in church attendance. Abstain from Television, and be exceedingly careful what videos you watch, and finally avoid taking the Lord’s name in vain and cursing! This includes watching movies where people DO curse!