Recently, I found what I thought was the first mainstream attempt to expose the Messianic movement as a cult by a gentile. Turns out it wasn’t what I thought.
James White took a day off on his radio program, and he allowed someone else to sit in. That person decided to dedicate that show to the subject of Hebrew Israelites, which turns out to be – like Messianic Judaism – a group of Gentiles who decided they’re the real Jews, and the Jews are Gentiles.
I was a little interested, but for the most part, disappointed. And when I meet people who discover I’m a Jew that believes in Jesus, the standard response is, “So you’re a Messianic Jew?”
My answer is always, “No. I’m a Christian who happens to be Jewish.”
People, why is it there’s a hundred apologetic blogs out there, and only a couple are willing to expose Messianic Jews as a cult?
Let’s look at the facts –
- Many Messianic Jews proselytize Christians to join their cult. Not unbelievers.
- Many Messianic Jews are Gentiles with no Jewish ancestry.
- Many Messianic Jews deny the deity of Christ, and have to attempt complicated explanations for how he can be a man and still a little more than a man.
- Many Messianic Jews believe keeping the law is obligatory for maintaining your salvation.
- Many Messianic Jews re-invent Jewish customs into some kind of bizarre mish-mosh
- Many Messianic Jews insist on reading their particular Bible translation, claiming “translation errors”
- Many Messianic Synagogues eventually call for you to separate from your family if they won’t go along with this madness.
It’s a cult. Different clothes, different names, disparaging the cross and person of Jesus Christ, their own holidays, their own bizarre customs and vocabulary shared among themselves. Their own Bible translation. The only thing Messianics really lack is the strong central character or organization to whom they owe allegiance.
Instead, it’s with them. If you belong to the movement, the movement itself is what they hold allegiance to.
People, it’s a cult. Just like Seventh Day Adventism, just like Jehovah’s Witnesses, just like Roman Catholicism.
We need to stop encouraging it. We need to address it as a cult. We need to separate from them. We need to tell them, “Look brother, you’re in a cult, and I’ll pray for you.”
We need to stop letting them rent out our church buildings on Friday Nights or Saturday afternoons.
They are the enemies of Jesus Christ.