Bible and Book of Mormon Contradictions
By Sandra Tanner
The Bible plainly states that the gospel, with its inclusion of Gentiles, was not fully revealed until after Christ’s death.
- Eph. 3:3-7 Paul writes “by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; that the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: whereof I was made a minister …… (See also Col. 1:26; 1 Peter 1: 1-12; Romans 16:25-26)
However, the Book of Mormon maintains that this knowledge was had in 545 B.C.
2 Nephi 25:19 “For according to the words of the prophets, the Messiah cometh… his name shall be Jesus Christ, the Son of God. … (v.23) For we labor… to persuade… our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.
2 Nephi 26:12 “And as I spake concerning the convincing of the Jews, that Jesus in the very Christ, it must needs be that the Gentiles be convinced also that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God;”
2 Nephi 30:2 “For behold, I say unto you that as many of the Gentiles as will repent are the covenant people of the Lord; and as many of the Jews as will not repent shall be cast off,”
2 Nephi 31:17 “For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and the Holy Ghost.”
- During Jesus’ ministry He spoke of His church as something in the future.Matthew 16:18 “And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”
After Christ’s resurrection and the day of Pentecost we read “And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.” (Acts 2:47)
However, the Book of Mormon claims the Christian church was established as early as 147 B.C.
Mosiah 18:17 “And they were called the church of God, or the church of Christ, from that time forward.”
- The Bible says believers were first called Christians after Paul’s ministry in Antioch.Acts 11:26 “And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.”
However, the Book of Mormon claims people were known by this title as early as 73 B.C.
Alma 46:15 “…yea, all those who were true believes in Christ took upon them, gladly, the name of Christ, or Christians as they were called, because of their belief in Christ who should come.”
- The Holy Ghost was bestowed on the Christians at the time of Pentecost.Luke 24:49 “And, behold, I send the promise of my Father unto you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.”
Acts 2:1-4 “And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. … And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost,…”
Yet the Book of Mormon claims that people received the gift of the Holy Ghost as early as 545 B.C.
2 Nephi 31:12-13 “…the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me… Wherefore, my beloved brethren,… by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost;…”
- In the Old Testament the only ones who could be priests were the descendants of Levi, one of the twelve sons of Israel.Numbers 3:9-10 “And thou shalt give the Levites unto Aaron and to his sons: they are wholly given unto him out of the children of Israel. And thou shalt appoint Aaron and his sons, and they shall wait on their priest’s office: and the stranger that cometh nigh shall be put to death” (See also Numbers 8:6-26).
However, the Book of Mormon story claims that descendants of the tribe of Manasseh (Alma 10:3) were made priests.
2 Nephi 5:26 “And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did consecrate Jacob and Joseph, that they should be priests and teachers over the land of my people.”
- The Old Testament teaches that the first born of the flocks were to be given automatically to the Lord. Sacrifices were to be made from their remaining animals.Exodus 13:12 “That thou shalt set apart unto the Lord all that openeth the matrix, and every firstling that cometh of a beast which thou hast; the males shall be the Lord’s” (See also Ex. 13:2; 22:29-30; Numbers 3:13; 18:15-18; 2 Sam. 24:24).
Deuteronomy 12:6 “And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks.”
The Book of Mormon claims that the Nephites were keeping the law of Moses. However, the Nephites broke the law of Moses by using the first of the flocks for burnt offerings. These should have already been given to the Lord as tithing.
Mosiah 2:3 “And they also took of the firstlings of their flocks, that they might offer sacrifice and burnt offerings according to the law of Moses.”
- The Bible states that all of King Zedekiah’s sons were killed.Jeremiah 39:6 “Then the king of Babylon slew the sons of Zedekiah in Riblah before his eyes.”
Contrary to the Bible, the Book of Mormon claims that one son of King Zedekiah escaped destruction and came to the Americas.
Heleman 6:10 “the land north was called Mulek, which was after the son of Zedekiah; for the Lord did bring Mulek into the land north” (See also Heleman 8:21).
- The Bible prophesied that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem.Micah 5:2 “But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.”
However, the Book of Mormon said he would be born at Jerusalem.
Alma 7: 10 “And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, she being a virgin…”
Visit Utah Lighthouse Ministries for more information on how to get out of Mormonism. Reproduced by permission from Sandra Tanner, All Rights Reserved