Mormonism is one of those groups most Christians know very little about. In the 1950’s, Christians were quick to separate from Mormons, or the Church of Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ. Today, thanks to lots of pressure and political expediency, Christians are just as quick to embrace them, referring to them as fellow Christians.
Mormons claim to be Christians. If that is the case, they must believe several cardinal doctrines to be able to claim to be Christians:
- Belief in the Bible as inerrant, and inspired word for word, letter for letter by God
- Belief in one God revealed in three persons, the Triune Godhead, God the Father, God the Son (the Lord Jesus Christ) and God the Holy Spirit
- Belief that there is no other way to salvation except through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ and His death, burial, and Ressurection
- Belief that there is Salvation in no other name other than Jesus Christ (with an acknowledgement of the pronunciation of that name in other languages such as Iesus, Yeshua, etc.)
- belief in a literal heaven and a literal hell
- belief that rejection of the Gospel leads to an eternity of suffering in a literal Hell and eventually in the lake of fire
- belief in Salvation by Grace alone as a gift of God and not of works, lest any man should boast
- Belief in the eventual literal return of Jesus Christ for his saints at the Rapture, and eventually a physical, visible return of Jesus Christ
If anyone does not believe in these things, they can call themselves a Christian, but they’d be misled or lying. AS you can see, at least one or two of these cardinal doctrines actually rules out a famous Soutrhern Baptist Missionary, but we’re not getting to that here today. I sincerely hope I meet that man before I die so I can witness to him, because I have grave doubts he’s saved!
So, let’s examine Mormonism, and see whether they can call themselves Christians, and make the claim to be saved. THe first thing we’re going to do is… put aside all rumors and myths about what Mormonism is. I’m going to state from the beginning I would like a knowledgable Mormon to help out, someone who’s had extensive training in Mormon teaching. Let’s set the record straight!
But be prepared… I’m doing this not to bash Mormons, but rather we are examining claims of salvation. If doctrinally what the Mormon church teaches does not line up with the Bible, we must reject it. I’m doing this to see whether Mormons need to be SAVED. If this examination leads to any other doctrinal positions other than the one above, then I’m going to beg, implore, plead, cajole, ANYTHING to get Mormons out of that church, and get you SAVED! Because the future state of any who reject this is frightening in the extreme.