So far we’ve established:
- Jehovah’s Witnesses are not Christians, as two of the cardinal doctrines of Christianity include the Godhood of Jesus Christ and the Trinity.
- The translators of the New World Translation were not “experienced, anointed Christians” as the Watchtower Society claims – but rather untrained, inexperienced Jehovah’s Witnesses
- It would take doctorate degrees in Greek and Hebrew to be qualified to translate the Bible
- According to Ray Franz, only one of the Translators knew any Greek, and no Hebrew
- There is no good reason to withhold the list of the translators of the NWT, and suggest the Watchtower Society has something to hide by concealing the names of the translators.
- Fred Franz, who served on the translating committee of the NWT, was incapable of recognizing a single Hebrew word in court, or even a single Hebrew letter – after claiming under oath he knew both Koine Greek and Hebrew.
- The JW’s rely on the United Bible Society text and Kittel’s BHS Hebrew – for what, I don’t know, since their translators don’t know any Hebrew or Greek
- The oldest Greek texts are actually the Textus Receptus, not the Wescott-Hort The majority of the oldest forms of the manuscripts are actually Textus Receptus
- The earliest of church fathers, living in the time of the apostles until AD 130 all quoted from the Textus Receptus.
- If Vaticanus or Sinaiticus were truly the original Greek, then they wouldn’t quote words or verses that those manuscripts leave out
- The NWT has major inconsistancies compared with the Textus Receptus
- The NWT revealed its bias against the Godhood of the Lord Jesus Christ by forgetting to twist a verse that shows the Lord Jesus Christ willingly received worship, and that some worship Him in vain (Matt. 15:9)
- The usage of “Sheol” in the Old Testament in context means “The abode of the dead”
- Sheol contained both Abraham’s Bosom (Paradise) and Hell, with a great gulf fixed between
- Both the Old and New Testament say that Hell is a place of fire, perpetual torment and burning
- a Grave is cool, and does not torment or burn.
- Luke 16 is a record of fact, and not a parable
- names are never mentioned in parables, but Luke 16 names Abraham and Lazarus
- The rich man in Luke 16 is not named because obviously we don’t need to know who it is.
- Almost every verse in the Bible on Hell is speaking of a literal place of torment and suffering.
- The Lord Jesus Christ is not an Angel
- Angels Are Created beings, hence the terms “sons of God”
- Jesus Christ is eternally God, therefore not a created being, therefore cannto be an Angel.
- The term “Son of God” refers to the relationship between God the Father and God the Son.
- Angels do not permit human beings to worship them – only Fallen angels encourage this.
- The Lord Jesus Christ obviously is not an Angel as He permitted people to worship Him.
- The Lord Jesus Christ stated many times that He was the only way to salvation
- There is no such thing as a small g god in the Bible – only God.
- The Lord Jesus Christ has always existed as God the Son
- Unless you accept and confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is God, you will be condemned to hellfire and eternal suffering forever.
- Salvation By Grace is available to all, according to the Bible
- The Trinity is a Biblical doctrine
- There is no proof the “144,000” were physically descended from Israel
- the British Israelite theory does not account for descent from individual tribes such as Gad, Asher, Benjamin, Issachar, etc.
- The 144,000 must come after the 5th seal. The 144,000 of the Jehovah’s Witnesses come almost a century before the Tribulation.
- It has been more than seven years after member #144,000 joined the Watchtower Society.
- The tribulation must end 7 years after it begins.
- The Temple in Jerusalem has not been rebuilt
- There’s nothing in the Bible about only the 144,000 are saved by grace or may partake of the Lord’s Supper
- The 144,000 must all be male
- The 144,000 must all be virgins. We have no information that the 144,000 Jehovah’s witnesses are all virgins.
- Elijah and Moses must appear in the Tribulation at the same time as the 144,000. Moses and Elijah apparently are quite delayed, as it’s 99 years later and they’ve never shown up.
We’ve punched major holes in the Watchtower Society doctrine at this point. We still have to cover salvation by grace alone vs. works, the identity of God’s chosen organization (hint – look that up in the Bible sometime – try to find any reference or description of God’s chosen organization), and Sola Scriptura.
“Soul sleep” needs to be dealt with next. We pretty much buried this with our analysis of Luke 16 and the story of Lazarus and the Rich man. But let’s look at other scriptures that clearly show that the soul is aware. Certainly our examination of Hell showed that there was sorrow, agony, torture, begging, pleading, weeping… The people consigned to Hell are in torment. My experience with injuries show that usually when I’m asleep, I don’t feel a thing.
Charles Taze Russell did not derive the doctrine of soul sleep from the scriptures – he heard it from the Seventh Day Adventists, and was reassured. He’d been troubled by hearing modernists preach, and their questioning and denying of the Bible. Hearing fervent preaching reassured him (a healthy study of the Bible would have done the same) – except it was from the Adventists. They spoke of soul sleep, and that reassured him as well, as he’d been troubled in his conscious about fears of Hell, a sign he was not saved, and the Lord was speaking to him about repentence and salvation. Alas, Russell, never did get saved, and threw in with the Adventists, publishing their literature for them until he had a break with them doctrinally. Leaving the Adventists, he continued to teach there was no hell and the souls were asleep. Well, he knows better now.
26 And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? 27 He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err. Mark 12:26-27 (KJV)
To us, the dead are the dead. There is a great gulf fixed – they are dead, we are living. We can perceive their graves, and their bodies we know are inside. The body does not move, eat, breathe, sleep, walk. They are still. The death of the righteous is referred to as a “sleep”. The teachings of the Lord correct any misunderstandings we may have. Physically, the dead sleep.. Physically, the dead are unable to praise God. THe righteous dead do indeed praise God, as we will see. The unrighteous dead do not. They do nothing but weep, wail, beg, plead, sorrow…
We need to contrast between one’s body, and one’s soul. The body is unaware – the soul lives on. the body sleeps, the soul is aware of every last detail going on around them.
4 Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies’ sake. 5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks? Psalm 6:4-5 (KJV)
Notice Psalm 6 makes exactly this distinction. “Deliver my soul” and “In death there is no remembrance of thee”. David is careful to mention the soul in one context, and speaks of death in the other.
17 Let me not be ashamed, O LORD; for I have called upon thee: let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave. 18 Let the lying lips be put to silence; which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous. Psalm 31:17-18 (KJV)
Obviously, he is wishing them dead. Funny thing about the dead, they usually don’t bother the living. David here is simply wishing death to his enemies so that they won’t trouble him any more.
This is consistant in many places in the Psalms. David is simply speaking of how the dead are no longer a threat or concern to him.
Remember, we must compare Scripture against Scripture. Lazarus and Abraham were aware, the rich man in Luke 16 was aware. Saul apparently was aware when the witch of Endor raised him.
34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: 35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: 36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection. 37 Now that the dead are raised, even Moses shewed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. 38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him. Luke 20:34-38 (KJV)
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: 9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. 10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. Romans 6:8-10 (KJV)
12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: 14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. 15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. 16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: 17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. 18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. 1 Corinthians 15:12-19 (KJV)
Read that through a few times, and read it in contect in the Bible. If the dead are not raised, then they which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. Notice the Bible draws a distinction! The body has fallen asleep, the soul is alive and aware.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. 1 Peter 4:6 (KJV)
It’s no good preaching to someone who is asleep and cannot hear or understand!
9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? 11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled. Revelation 6:9-11 (KJV)
The souls here are awake, and aware.
Our doctrine needs to be derived from the entire word of God, rightly divided, and not a few isolated verses. A text taken out of context is a pretext. It matters not what the Watchtower Society teaches, if it does not line up with the entire word of God! The New Testament clearly pictures the soul as awake and aware.
Sadly, Russell had been hearing the voice of the Lord speak about Hell, and eternal suffering. Once Russell had embraced erroneous doctrine, the need to get saved vanished. Why get saved if there’s no hell and no punishment? Alas, too many Jehovah’s Witnesses are making the same error. What would Russell and Rutherford tell you right now if they could talk?
29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. Luke 16:29-31 (KJV)
- Jehovah’s Witnesses Examined 11 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- Jehovah’s Witnesses Answered 5 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- Jehovah’s Witnesses Answered 7 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- Jehovah’s Witnesses Answered 10 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- Jehovah’s Witnessese Answered 3 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- Jehovah’s Witnesses Answered 9 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- Jehovah’s Witnesses Answered 7 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- Jehovah’s Witnesses Answered 4 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- Jehovah’s Witnesses Answered 6 – Hell (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)