So far we’ve established:
- Jehovah’s Witnesses are not Christians, as two of the cardinal doctrines of Christianity include the Godhood of Jesus Christ and the Trinity.
- The translators of the New World Translation were not “experienced, anointed Christians” as the Watchtower Society claims – but rather untrained, inexperienced Jehovah’s Witnesses
- It would take doctorate degrees in Greek and Hebrew to be qualified to translate the Bible
- According to Ray Franz, only one of the Translators knew any Greek, and no Hebrew
- There is no good reason to withhold the list of the translators of the NWT, and suggest the Watchtower Society has something to hide by concealing the names of the translators.
- Fred Franz, who served on the translating committee of the NWT, was incapable of recognizing a single Hebrew word in court, or even a single Hebrew letter – after claiming under oath he knew both Koine Greek and Hebrew.
- The JW’s rely on the United Bible Society text and Kittel’s BHS Hebrew – for what, I don’t know, since their translators don’t know any Hebrew or Greek
- The oldest Greek texts are actually the Textus Receptus, not the Wescott-Hort The majority of the oldest forms of the manuscripts are actually Textus Receptus
- The earliest of church fathers, living in the time of the apostles until AD 130 all quoted from the Textus Receptus.
- If Vaticanus or Sinaiticus were truly the original Greek, then they wouldn’t quote words or verses that those manuscripts leave out
- The NWT has major inconsistancies compared with the Textus Receptus
- The NWT revealed its bias against the Godhood of the Lord Jesus Christ by forgetting to twist a verse that shows the Lord Jesus Christ willingly received worship, and that some worship Him in vain (Matt. 15:9)
- The usage of “Sheol” in the Old Testament in context means “The abode of the dead”
- Sheol contained both Abraham’s Bosom (Paradise) and Hell, with a great gulf fixed between
- Both the Old and New Testament say that Hell is a place of fire, perpetual torment and burning
- a Grave is cool, and does not torment or burn.
- Luke 16 is a record of fact, and not a parable
- names are never mentioned in parables, but Luke 16 names Abraham and Lazarus
- The rich man in Luke 16 is not named because obviously we don’t need to know who it is.
- Almost every verse in the Bible on Hell is speaking of a literal place of torment and suffering.
- The Lord Jesus Christ is not an Angel
- Angels Are Created beings, hence the terms “sons of God”
- Jesus Christ is eternally God, therefore not a created being, therefore cannto be an Angel.
- The term “Son of God” refers to the relationship between God the Father and God the Son.
- Angels do not permit human beings to worship them – only Fallen angels encourage this.
- The Lord Jesus Christ obviously is not an Angel as He permitted people to worship Him.
- The Lord Jesus Christ stated many times that He was the only way to salvation
- There is no such thing as a small g god in the Bible – only God.
- The Lord Jesus Christ has always existed as God the Son
- Unless you accept and confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is God, you will be condemned to hellfire and eternal suffering forever.
- Salvation By Grace is available to all, according to the Bible
- The Trinity is a Biblical doctrine
Today we’re going to look at the concept of the 144,000.
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. 2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, 3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads. 4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel. 5 Of the tribe of Juda were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad were sealed twelve thousand. 6 Of the tribe of Aser were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nepthalim were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasses were sealed twelve thousand. 7 Of the tribe of Simeon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Levi were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar were sealed twelve thousand. 8 Of the tribe of Zabulon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Joseph were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Benjamin were sealed twelve thousand. Revelation 7:1-8 (KJV)
I’m sure you’ve read this a number of times. Who is the 144,000? When are they appearing?
“Of the tribe of Juda were sealed 12,000.”
They are Jews.
“Of the tribe of Levi were sealed 12,000.”
“Well, we’re spiritual Jews.”
Name me one verse in the Bible that suggests such a doctrine. There is none. I know the tenants of the false doctrine of “British Israelism”, which swept through Adventism. This maintains that God has rejected the Jews, and chosen Christians as a replacement – but in some odd way, the physical descendancy of Judaism bypassed the tribe of Judah, the most numerous tribe, and Levi, a tribe that was guaranteed a perpetual priesthood.
So somehow, the physical lineage of Judaism apparently bypassed the Jews. Who did it go to? Why, those who accept the place in the true church, of course! Never mind that this true church seems to vary depending on who’s claiming it.
It’s nonsense. Not only is there ZERO scriptural support for it, there’s no historical support for it.
Another point is this – the “spiritual Jews” theory, or British Israelitism cannot cite descent from a specific tribe. Messianic “Jews” (most of whom are Gentile) attempt to cite the tribe of Ephraim under the mistaken doctrine that Ephraim became Gentiles, and therefore any Messianic Gentile belongs to the tribe of Ephraim, and is therefore Jewish. (That’s not circular logic, that’s figure 8 logic!!! )
So when Revelation 7 cites 12,000 Jews of the tribe of Reuban… it rules out Messianic Gentiles, Seventh Day Adventists who are not physically Jewish, Presbyterians who are Gentile, and any Jehovah’s Witness who cannot prove physical descent from Israel.
This brings us to the next question – when is the 144,000? Between the fifth and sixth seals. During the Tribulation.
The 144,000 cannot have been chosen from among the first ones to join the Bible Students – remember many of those departed after the first failed prophecy of 1914. Are you saying that the 144,000 sealed servants lost some through apostasy? Lost most, if I’ve read correctly.
Or is it just the number who stayed? Was the sealing of the servants a drawn out process? a sealing is a quick, one time event. None of the 144,000 in the Bible fall away. Not one.
So we have four problems with Attorney Rutherford’s contention that any of the 144,000 were the original Jehovah’s Witnesses.
- They all must be physical Jews, whose lineage is known to originate from which tribe. Right now, there is not many who know this. Studies in Genetic Markers have identified the tribe of Levi – there may be other markers to identify other tribes. If so, we may be able to identify any Jew who does not have a Sefer Toldot (book of geneology) and what tribe they originate from.
- It cannot happen until between the fifth and sixth seal, which is in the future.
- They all must be sealed one time, and stay true and fervent. It’s possible that they may be sealed and cannot be harmed by the armies of the antichrist – or possibly all are martyred by the Antichrist during the tribulation.
- Since the Tribulation is only seven years long, that would bring us to 1921. Currently it’s 2013, over ninety years later. The 144,000 could not possibly have been sealed in 1914.
The major problem with this is – the Antichrist has not been revealed yet. And… isn’t the churches supposed to be raptured prior to the Tribulation??? How then can ANY Jehovah’s Witness be one of the 144,000? Unless this is a tacit admission from the Watchtower Society they will be left behind after the Rapture of the Churches. Which would also be a tacit admission that they are not saved.
If the Rapture has not happened, the Antichrist has not been identified yet, and the Temple in Jerusalem not rebuilt – the 144,000 have not come yet.
To make matters worse, some of the doctrines the Watchtower Society advocate as belonging to the 144,000 do not in any way shape or form belong exclusively to the 144,000! Salvation by Grace, as we’ve already seen, belongs to all men, if they will but accept it. I see no justification for any theology which claims only the 144,000 are saved by grace – all others must earn their salvation through works.
How do you derive this, seeing as how those who were given this great, spiritual benefit merely had the benefit of being the first 144,000 to join the Watchtower Society? The entire theology had to be re-thunk once member 144,001 joined. “Uh-oh… what now??? Think quick – uh, only the fisrt 144,000 are saved by grace! The rest of you have to earn your salvation!”
“Um, that contradicts the book of Galatians, the book of Romans…”
“Hush! The LORD hath spokeneth!”
As you can see, when looked at in that manner, it raises as many logical questions as I have raised theologically!
What ARE the 144,000? They are the witnesses (yup – you guys got that right), 144,000 Jewish evangelists (you were part right), who travel the earth, spreading the Gospel. Their evangelistic power must be enormous, as almost immediately after they are sealed (Rev. 7:3), a great multitude appears in heaven out of the Great Tribulation (Rev. 7:9)
While that’s an amazing thing – there’s nothing in there about them being the only ones who can partake of the Lord’s Supper. There’s nothing in any passage on salvation by Grace (and there’s a veritable multitude of those passages) being available only to the 144,000.
1 And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father’s name written in their foreheads. 2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps: 3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth. 4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb. 5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God. Revelation 14:1-5 (KJV)
There. You’ve read on this post everything in the Bible on the 144,000. It wasn’t a lot, and nothing to base a lot of doctrine on!
We have another problem. Why is it that only the first 144,000 to join are the 144,000? Why can’t YOU be one of them, if you’re a Jehovah’s Witness, Jewish, and a virgin male? Well, apparently, those that were living at the time were holier than today, I guess.
Another point is that the 144,000 are contemporaneus to Moses and Elijah during the tribulation. Again, World War I cannot be a tribulation, as WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, and Operation Iraqi Freedom happened afterwards. The millennial kingdom cannot have been established. Moses and Elijah never appeared, and were never killed in Jerusalem. As a matter of fact, WW I was mostly confined to Europe, never really spreading to the Middle East. And Armageddon must take place in Israel.
Going by the British Israelitism theory, if Jerusalem was really a codeword for “Llondon”, then Britain would have needed house to house fighting, covering a distance of 200 miles north and south of London. My geography may be hazy here, but does England have 100 miles of real estate south of London?
So, to sum up… the 144,000 of the Watchtower Society cannot be the 144,000 as…
- There was no proof they were physically descended from Israel
- the British Israelite theory does not account for descent from individual tribes such as Gad, Asher, Benjamin, Issachar, etc.
- The 144,000 must come after the 5th seal
- It has been more than seven years after member #144,000 joined the Watchtower Society.
- The tribulation must end 7 years after it begins.
- The Temple in Jerusalem has not been rebuilt
- There’s nothing in the Bible about only the 144,000 are saved by grace or may partake of the Lord’s Supper
- The 144,000 must all be male
- The 144,000 must all be virgins. We have no information that the 144,000 Jehovah’s witnesses are all virgins.
- Elijah and Moses must appear in the Tribulation at the same time as the 144,000. Moses and Elijah apparently are quite delayed, as it’s 99 years later and they’ve never shown up.
Let’s hear no more about any member of the Jehovah’s Witnesses being any of the 144,000.