So far we’ve established…
- Speaking in tongues is a sign to those who do not believe
- Biblically, “tongues” refers to languages
- There were only three cases of speaking in tongues in the Book of Acts: 2:4-11, 10:44-48, and 19:1-8
- All three instances of speaking in tongues, Apostles were present, and Jews were present. In all three cases, unbelieving Jews were in the vicinity to witness.
- speaking in an unknown tongue probably refers to speaking in Hebrew, according to two commentators (Adam Clarke and Charles Hodge)
- Speaking in tongues must be done one at a time.
- there must be no more than three people per service speaking in tongues.
- Someone must be there that understands that language to interpret.
- There must be no more than three people to preach at any service.
- women may not preach or speak in tongues.
- The sign gifts can be demonstrated departing somethere around 60AD.
- Paul was unable to heal three of his friends of sicknesses, one of them sick near to death.
- Prophecy has demonstrateably passed away
- Many false and pagan religions speak in modern tongues
- Modern Tongues has too small a vocabulary to be a real language
- Modern tongues lacks the grammar structure to be a real language.
- Modern Tongues have been studied by language experts and declared not a real language.
- Modern tongues have been described as essentially the same as pagan speaking in tongues
- supposed “raisings from the dead” are apparently unverifiable – nobody is forthcoming with the names, or even the persons themselves.
- claims of amputees being healed also are unverifiable.
- serious birth defects apparently cannot be healed by these faith healers.
- Most Pentecostal healings amount to back pains and headaches, and have the healing powers of aspirin
- The tongues movement originates from the Shiloh group in Durham/Lisbon Falls Maine and Frank Sandford.
- Death, disease and suffering clung to all of the originators of the movement, whether themselves or their immediate followers.
- The god of the Word Faith movement does not have all power and all knowledge, and therefore is not the God of the Bible
- the god of the Word Faith movement has faith in something other than himself, and is not the God of the Bible
- Most Word Faith teachers deny either the Trinity or the Godhood of the Lord Jesus Christ
- Word Faith doctrines originate in New Thought, Theosophy, Mormonism, Christian Science, and Swedenborgianism
- Anyone denying the use of heresy when teaching some questionable teaching is in fact teaching the heresy they deny teaching!
Since some in the Word Faith have raised an issue with the textual way in which “heresy hunters” quote the word faith teachers, I’m going to give in to them on this point. I want to highlight the words of Myles Munroe, but I don’t want to give the entire rambling sequence at first, because I want you to read literally what he says word for word.
The Word Faith teachers claim that we “edit their words” through the use of ellipses (…) in order to make their seemingly innocent statemenets suddenly heresy. The claim is made that we are removing words in order to suddenly make Creflo Dollar, Benny Hinn and Kenneth Copeland speak heresy.
The fact is, I don’t have to look very far in order to find Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn and Crefloe Dollar speaking heresy. It’s a matter of maybe five or six minutes of searching to find not just quotes, but MP3 & WAV files and MP4/FLV video files of them speaking heresy! It actually takes longer to open my video program (VLC Media player – which actually opens pretty quickly) than it does to find them speaking heresy. And most certainly I don’t have to edit ANYTHING they say to show them teaching heresy.
And amazingly, they cooperate nicely because their word faith fans upload their videos to Youtube.
“The only creature that God gave authority on the Earth legally to is a spirit in a dirt body. That means any spirit without a dirt body is illegal on planet Earth.” – Myles Munroe interview with Benny Hinn
“But here’s the bigger statement. Even God himself is illegal on planet earth.” – Myles Munroe interview with Benny Hinn
Again with the legal nonsense. This is important, because I’ve noticed they all make reference to God having to conform to pre-existing laws. In case the Word Faith people plan on arguing that God Himself created these laws, I’m going to ask – where in the Bible do we see God explaining to us that He has limits? God by definition has all power – that called the doctrine of Omnipotence. There are three doctrines of God that the Bible teaches…
- Omnipotence – God has all power by definition – He is the God of all creation as the Bible explains. He has all power.
- Omniscience – God is all knowing
- Omnipresence – God is everywhere
In this interview, Myles Munroe will deny all three doctrines. Just so we’re clear, here’s some verses to support these doctrines.
1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. Genesis 17:1 (KJV)
14 Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son. Genesis 18:14 (KJV)
26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26 (KJV)
27 But will God indeed dwell on the earth? behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded? 1 Kings 8:27 (KJV)
6 But who is able to build him an house, seeing the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain him? who am I then, that I should build him an house, save only to burn sacrifice before him? 2 Chronicles 2:6 (KJV)
7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? Psalm 139:7 (KJV)
24 Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD. Jeremiah 23:24 (KJV)
5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite. Psalm 147:5 (KJV)
3 Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed. 1 Samuel 2:3 (KJV)
39 Then hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place, and forgive, and do, and give to every man according to his ways, whose heart thou knowest; (for thou, even thou only, knowest the hearts of all the children of men;) 1 Kings 8:39 (KJV)
1 Why, seeing times are not hidden from the Almighty, do they that know him not see his days? Job 24:1 (KJV)
If anything, if you are Word Faith and the Lord has led you to this page, you are learning a great deal about Biblical doctrine – enough so that you should be realizing by now, on the 13th post on this topic – that Word Faith is completely different from the Christianity of the Bible.
Returning to the laws section, Munroe claims God sets up these laws.
“But here’s the bigger statement. Even God himself is illegal on planet earth. Why? Because He is a spirit. Under the law He set up by His own mouth, was that only spirits with bodies can function on earth legally.” – Myles Munroe interview with Benny Hinn
This is nowhere to be found in Scripture. It’s not only unbiblical, but it contradicts what the New Testament has to say about demons – which in some cases are disembodied spirits.
24 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out. 25 And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished. 26 Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Luke 11:24-26 (KJV)
1 And they came over unto the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gadarenes. 2 And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, 3 Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains: 4 Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him. 5 And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones. 6 But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him, 7 And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not. 8 For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit. 9 And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many. 10 And he besought him much that he would not send them away out of the country. 11 Now there was there nigh unto the mountains a great herd of swine feeding. 12 And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them. 13 And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea. 14 And they that fed the swine fled, and told it in the city, and in the country. And they went out to see what it was that was done. 15 And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid. 16 And they that saw it told them how it befell to him that was possessed with the devil, and also concerning the swine. 17 And they began to pray him to depart out of their coasts. 18 And when he was come into the ship, he that had been possessed with the devil prayed him that he might be with him. 19 Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee. 20 And he departed, and began to publish in Decapolis how great things Jesus had done for him: and all men did marvel. Mark 5:1-20 (KJV)
The Gadarene spirits besought the Lord, asking not to be sent out of the country – not the planet. And they begged permission to take body again. Why apparently, they cannot rest unless they are in a body. If Munroe were right, they would immediately have to depart from this planet. And Munroe has not yet cited the Bible to say WHERE God said anything about “spirits cannot operate legally on earth.”
Let me ask a logical question, to illustrate the stupidity of this false doctrine – If God cannot “Legally” operate on earth without man’s permission – Who will enforce this law if God acts on the earth without Man’s permission? Munroe will say it’s by God’s very nature He will not – and if this is the case, then I have hopes for Munroe he can someday be saved – because the fruit of this is by the very nature of his teachings, I sincerely doubt he is saved!
However, this does not change the fact that the Bible not only does not say what Munroe says it does, it even demonstrates the opposite!
“that’s why God could not interfere when Adam and Eve was, you know ah, could, kind of deliberating on the food… environment there in the book of Genesis.” Myles Munroe
The ellipses there do not refer to any removed or altered words, but are included to show a pause as Munroe attempts to find the right words to describe his blasphemies. Yes, blasphemies. To teach something the Bible does not teach is error, to teach something the opposite of what the Bible says is heresy, and to profane the Lord God is blasphemy. Those are some handy defintions we will use.
It should not be my burden to disprove Munroe – he needs to prove his own points, as he is obviously departing, knowingly and willingly, from commonly understood teachings of the Bible – and neglects to make a single Bible reference to support his contention. It would be like me to claim that the Bhagavad-Gita teaches the moon is green cheese – and insisiting on you to disprove me. It would be ludicrous to cite a teaching, and then not giving the reference for the teaching. Am I arguing from bad analogy? No – I am citing a teaching not found in a religious work, and then not giving support for a contention that cannot be found by true adherants of that religion.
And just a note – I am not Hindu. I believe it is a false religion. I do not believe that truth can be found in the Bhagavad-Gita. Truth is found only in the Holy Bible. I am not a Hindu.
I have to question whether Myles Munroe is indeed a Christian. He is obviously following another God, another Jesus, another Gospel. Only the true Gospel can save.
“Prayer is man giving God permission, or license, to interfere in Earth’s affairs. In other words, prayer is earthly license for heavenly interference.” – Myles Munroe, interview with Benny Hinn
There are times when Word Faith teachers make statements so far removed from the Bible I am sometimes staggered, almost speechless, trying to find the answer to something so unbelievably unBiblical…
The root of this is not found at all in Scripture, but rather, the writings of men. The writings of P. Quimby, the creator of “New Thought” influenced E. W. Kenyon, who in turn influenced Kenneth Hagin, who influenced Kenneth Copeland.
- The Word Faith Movement Examined 1 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- The Word Faith Movement Answered 2 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- The Word Faith Movement Examined 3 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- The Word Faith Movement Examined 4 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- The Word Faith Movement Examined 5 (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- The Word Faith Movement Examined 6 History (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- The Word Faith Movement Examined 8 History (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)
- Word Faith and Charismatica (matthew714ministries.wordpress.com)